Wednesday, December 06, 2006

Brandie,

Congratulations on successfully completing PL 210. I appreciated your comments in your final reflection about how the questions and feedback in the course are what made you think the most. First of all, it’s good to know that they had that effect. As you said, that is my reason for doing so. And, it also confirmed what I said to you in our brief interview on the last day of class, that I was impressed with the quality of your thinking and your willingness to take the opportunity to use ideas you were studying to reflect on your own experience. I was interested in watching the films you recommended because I could see that you were considering the questions in the course thoughtfully.

I know you said that you did not enjoy writing the reflections on the short stories as much as you did in responding to Clare and Lawson, but you still did a very perceptive analysis of each. I think your view that the narrator in Krysl’s story is both enlightened and imprisoned is insightful, and you explain your reasoning behind your view convincingly. You also make an interesting point about whether anyone is truly “imprisoned” if they are making their own choices. In fact, it is interesting that the narrator in that story “chooses” to be like her mother, while Faygie in the other story “chooses” to treat her daughter in a way that is the opposite of how her mother had treated her.

It was great having you in class.
Tim


Tim is <3. Tim makes me feel like I'm on top of the world. He supports all of my thoughts with more questions and even though he encouraged me to take more philosophy classes, I don't want to take one unless he's going to teach it.

3 comments:

Anya Harrington said...

Congrats with passing. :-)

Anth said...

woooot!
omg, i wish that's how my grades were here...
so much cooler.

Anonymous said...

You know--- there are lots of awesome Philsophy courses at Alverno... with lots of awesome teachers! :) My Poli-Sci class this semester was pretty much a philosophy class... maybe look into them anyway? You could have other amazing teachers too... we'll scope them out first and find out if they are bastards or not...
K^3